There are several trade unions and associations representing businesses in Niger. Most of these unions are generally affiliated to centres which include many branches for different sectors of activities. Regularly, the following trade unions or centres, issue press releases to update the public on their activities and on ongoing negotiations with the government:
- Syndicat des Agents de l’Information (Union of Information Agents - SAINFO) - A trade union made up of private and public journalists;
- Syndicat des Agents de l’Information (Union of Information Operators - SAINFO);
- Syndicat des Travailleurs de la Presse (Union of Press Workers - SYNTRAPRESSE);
- Syndicat des Travailleurs de la Presse Privée (Union of Workers of the Private Press - SYNTRAPREP) - A trade union made up of private journalists;
- Syndicat National des Professionnels de la Presse Écrite et Audiovisuelle du Niger (National Union of Press and Audiovisual Professionals of Niger - SYNAPPEAN);
- Syndicat National des Travailleurs de l’Information et de la Communication (National Union of Information and Communication Workers - SYNATIC);
- Syndicat National des Travailleurs de l’Information et de la Communication (National Trade Union of Information and Communication Workers) - A trade union representing information and communication professionals working in private media in Niger;
- Syndicat National des Travailleurs de la Presse Libre (National Union of Free PressWorkers - SYNTRAPREL);
- Union des Journalistes Privés Nigériens (Union of Nigerien Private Journalists - UJPN) - An association of journalists from the private sector.
The first union in the list represent workers employed by public media. The second one is made up of public and private journalists. The others concern private media. The main goal of all these trade unions is to defend the rights of journalists from employers’ abuses, and to defend their rights in the profession. Their activities include workshops and press releases when a member journalist requires support in case of controversies.