Technological innovation is a priority of the Malian Government, which has created a Ministry of Innovation and Scientific Research, involved in matters of technology, industry, agriculture and even general administration. The general administration sector has been modernised thanks to the Agence des Technologies de l’Information et de la Communication (Information and Communication Technologies Agency - AGETIC) which has designed applications and provides assistance for improving governance.
To promote innovation, a Competitive Fund for Research and Technological Innovation has been set up by Law No 062 of 2011 which was launched on 8 April, 2017. This fund mainly finances projects in the field of agronomy, environment and livestock.
In 2017, the Ministry of Communication and Digital Economy, in collaboration with AGETIC and the Association des Sociétés Informatiques du Mali (Association of IT Companies of Mali - ASIM), launched the first Malian Startup for the promotion of young entrepreneurship, which sustains innovation and contributes to the development of the country.
As part of the pursuit of innovation a National Collaborative Centre for Education in Robotics of Mali was set up by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MESRS), with the support of the UNESCO. The mission of this centre is to inspire Malian youth with a passion for science, for a better understanding of the phenomena that determine and explain the evolution of societies, nature, technologies and life sciences.
To improve the organisation and management of the Malian administration AGETIC developed the following applications:
- Office Manager, a secure web-based management application;
- CoRe, a restricted consultations management application which allows to create and manage a tender dossier in a reliable and transparent way;
- eGESCO, a mail management application;
- Administrative Approach, a web and mobile application allowing users to access information and administrative procedures;
- AGIC, an electronic archiving system which enables companies to control the production, storage, management and distribution of electronic documents, by increasing efficiency and reusing information and controlling the flow of documents.