from Overview to Education (Professional development)
- AU/UN Media Observatory project report, The AU/UN IST Media Observatory project includes a website that has been publically accessible online since April/May2013.
- BBC World Service Trust Research and Learning Group. An Analysis of the Somali Media Environment (2011).
- BBC. Somalia media profile.
- Global Partnership for Education. Education in Somalia.
- Idil Osman (2017). Media, Diaspora and the Somali Conflict.
- ITU. Arab States 2009 report.
- Freedom House. Worst of the worst, the world’s most repressive societies (2011).
- Mohamed Husein Gaas, Stig Jarle Hansen and David Berry. Mapping the Somali Media: An Overview, Noragric Report No. 65. (2012).
- National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ). The Endless Violations Against Journalists and Media Workers in Somalia (2017 Annual Report)
from Education (Media development organisations) to Traditional forms of communication
- Africa’s Voices (2017). What Drives the Gender Digital Divide? (12 June 2017).
- Borgen Project (2018). 10 Important Facts About Girls’ Education in Somalia. (13 July 2018).
- Broadcasting Board of Governors. Gallup: Media Use in Somalia 2013.
- Economist (2005). . Somalia Calling: An Unlikely Success Story. (20 December 2005).
- International Telecommunications Union (2017). Somalia: Measuring the Information Society Report.
- Juma, C. (2017). Somaliland’s Voting Technology Shows How Africa Can Lead the World. (13 November 2018).
- Nation Reporter (2018). Excitement as Mogadishu Gets 4G Mobile Network. Daily Nation (5 November 2018).
- Plaut, M. (2017). Faith and Money from the Middle East Fuelling Tensions in the Horn of Africa. The Conversation (9 February 2017).
- Randa, J., and Musuku, B (2018). Rapid Growth in Mobile Money: Stability or Vulnerability? World Bank Working Paper Report No. 129780.
- Reuters (2017). Somalia Restores Internet Connection After Weeks of Outage (17 July 2017).
- Staff, H. (2012). Poets are more important than politicians in Somalia: The role of arts and literature in the Horn of Africa. Poetry Foundation (12 December 2012).
- Stremlau, N., Fantini, E., & Osman, R. M. (2016). The political economy of the media in the Somali conflict. Review of African Political Economy, 43(147), 43-57.
- Stremlau, N. (2012). Media Law in the Absence of a State. International Journal of Media and Cultural Politics (2-3), 159-174.
- Stremlau, N. (2013). Hostages of Peace: The Politics of Radio Liberalization in Somaliland. Journal of Eastern African Studies 7(2), 239-257.
- Stremlau, N., & Osman, R. (2015). Courts, clans and companies: mobile money and dispute resolution in Somaliland. Stability: International Journal of Security and Development, 4(1).
- World Food Programme (2017). Digital Delivery: Using Technology to Reach Those in Need in Somalia (2 May 2017).